Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] SWT port to Flex

Sorry Pat, I didn't intend the URL slap.

What problem would providing the spirit of SWT on top of Flex and Dojo solve?  What language would you program in?  _javascript_ or ActionScript?  Not useful I think.  If you are using "native" technologies and don't intend portability, then just use them.

SWT for Dojo for Rhino:  This would be programming SWT in _javascript_, right?  I'm not sure what this would solve either.

Patrick Mueller <pmuellr@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/18/2008 05:58 PM

Please respond to
E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] SWT port to Flex

Trying to wrap my head around what this even means.  Is there a write-up somewhere?  You can't use a Java JCL directly with Flex, so I assume you want to start with GWT or Harmony and transmute the required classes to ActionScript.

My first take would have been to try to provide the spirit of SWT on top of existing Flex (and for Dojo, dojo) infrastructure, as much as you can.  But that's a different styled kind of result, and it's not clear that it would be all that useful anyway.

Here's an interesting thought: SWT for Dojo for Rhino.  Which would of course use the "real" SWT in the end.  Giving you some kind of "portability" story for JS across SWT/Java and SWT/Dojo/browser.  Unless that's what SWT for Dojo already is ...