Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] CSS namespaces

> SWT burden lots of legacy, which I not known about, and nice to hear details.

Not sure exactly what you are getting at here.

"向雅" <fyaoxy@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/08/2008 05:30 PM

Please respond to
E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"E4 developer list" <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] CSS namespaces

Yes, and maybe not only a parser.

2008/8/9 Kevin McGuire <Kevin_McGuire@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> [...]
> Steve will tell you!
>
> Regards,
> Kevin
>

> "向雅" <fyaoxy@xxxxxxxxx>
> Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> 08/08/2008 12:56 PM
>
> Please respond to
> E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> "E4 developer list" <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> cc
> Subject
> Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] CSS namespaces
>

> Since the current CSS shoes not fit our feet, why not consider a fully new
> CSS?
>
> And SWT has not any legacy burden and weight.
>

> 2008/8/9 Kevin McGuire <Kevin_McGuire@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Angelo brought up CSS namespaces, I think this is an important topic
>>> that hasn't been discussed here yet.
>>
>> Sigh... yes.
>>
>>> The question is how to specify
>>> custom widget types in CSS. With SWT, the widget names are unambiguous,
>>> but custom widgets can involve name collisions.
>>>
>>> Using CSS namespaces would be an option, although I would then opt for
>>> using a default namespace for SWT to avoid clutter. The CSS could look
>>> like this:
>>>
>>>    @namespace "org.eclipse.swt.widgets";
>>>    @namespace my "my.name.space";
>>>
>>>    Label {
>>>      color;red;
>>>    }
>>>
>>>    my|Label {
>>>      color;red;
>>>    }
>>>
>>> On the other hand, some frequently used SWT widgets live in
>>> "org.eclipse.swt.custom" (CLabel, CCombo, CTabFolder, ...), so those
>>> would have to be prefixed as well (which I somehow dislike):
>>>
>>>    swtcustom|CLabel {
>>>      color: blue;
>>>    }
>>
>> Agree, I dislike it too. It's annoying to clutter the typical case (SWT
>> widgets, regardless of whether they are custom or not).
>>
>>> Moreover, CSS 3 is not yet widely adopted and the available parsers do
>>> not support it out-of-the-box.
>>
>> Good point.
>>
>>> An alternative to CSS namespaces could be some kind of mapping between
>>> widget classes and CSS element names.
>>
>> I think this is a reasonable approach. Extended widgets outside of SWT
>> would
>> need some form of qualified name, not so much to prevent clashing with SWT
>> since presumably everyone avoids that, but to prevent clashing with each
>> other.  The element names can be whatever we want them to be, since its
>> our
>> code that'll do the mapping from CSS to widget method calls.  So we could
>> solve it without resorting to CSS name spaces, for example by requiring
>> that
>> extended widgets register their names with us in some qualified fashion
>> (e.g. NebulaGallery).  Kinda hacky but would work.

致敬
向雅