RE: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Some food for thought

Eric said:
> I too would like to be able to -quickly- fire up eclipse
> to accomplish a task and shut it down...the startup times
> for Word and PPoint are essentailly sub-second on my box
> but eclipse takes...um...significantly more time.

AFAIK the reason Word and PPoint start quickly is that they are
registered to preload significant parts of themselves upon Windows
startup, regardless of whether they'll be needed.  Note also that Word
and PPoint aren't editing projects with distributed typesystems, they're
just editing single files with very little in the way of semantics.

That said, if I want to "just edit some text", Eclipse is not a good
tool, for sure - I'll usually fire up TextPad, which launches in a
second or two.

It would be cool if Eclipse were able to start up as "just an editor"
(with syntax-based chromacoding, e.g., but no typesystem-based features)
- that is, if I could say "eclipse somefile.java" and have a
Java-colored GUI text editor in two seconds - but it seems like the
tradeoffs to get that kind of agility might be... um... significant.

Back to the top