Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Eclipse Definition & presenting e4

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Tom Seidel <tom.seidel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The current situation is that it is very difficult to define Eclipse. If you
ask someone what Eclipse is, the most likely answer will be "A Java IDE".
Let me cite the first sentence of eclipse.org

"Eclipse is an open source community whose projects are focused on building
an open development platform comprised of extensible frameworks, tools and
runtimes for building, deploying and managing software across the
lifecycle."

Hmmm; Maybe we need a cool acronym/buzzword to describe what we're doing.  Rich web was around before AJAX, but the AJAX term rallied the community around the concept.

Eclipse is composed of a whole bunch of technologies that work synergisticly together.  We need a term that codifies/describes that synergy so that people can understand it in the way that AJAX codifies and describes the benefit of asynchronous _javascript_ and XML.

What we're enabling is really rich web and rich client from one source, along with modular client and server-side applications via OSGI.

I'm not very good at coming up with clever names.  Nick Boldt, are you around?  Wanna start a contest?

Dave Orme

Back to the top