[eclipse-dev] ChatGPT

Hi,

I'm not sure how y'all feel about this Ai but I am pretty impressed by it.
So much so that we (the Ai helped a lot, see below) have created an Ai View to integrate with Eclipse.

It is freshly baked so expect a bug or two but all in all it is pretty functional.

install it from https://remainsoftware.com/aichat/updates

Bugs can be reported here: https://github.com/remainsoftware/aichat

Cheers, Wim

This conversation below has saved me at least four hours of trial and error

How can i calculate the actual size of a styledtext widget when some of the text is not visible.

Suppose the real height of the styledtext is 200 but some of the text has scrolled out of visible part. My aim

is to resize the widget automatically so I don't need vertical scroll bars. Please do not generate any code yet

let's talk about this first.

To calculate the actual size of a styledtext widget when some of the text is not visible, you can use the `computeSize()` method of the widget. This method calculates the preferred size of the widget based on its contents and layout constraints.

To resize the widget automatically so that it doesn't need vertical scroll bars, you can compare the preferred size of the widget with its current size, and if the preferred size is larger, you can set the size of the widget to the preferred size.

Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Get the preferred size of the styledtext widget using the `computeSize()` method.

2. Compare the preferred size with the current size of the widget.

3. If the preferred size is larger than the current size, set the size of the widget to the preferred size.

Note that you may need to add some padding to the preferred size to ensure that all the text is visible, depending on the layout of the widget and the size of its parent container.

Also, keep in mind that resizing the widget automatically may cause layout issues if the parent container has fixed size or layout constraints. In such cases, you may need to adjust the layout of the parent container to accommodate the resized widget.

that does not work with the style SWT.WRAP. The problem is that the widget sees only one line and the preferred size width will be much larger than the actual width of the widget.

You are correct, the `computeSize()` method may not work correctly with the `SWT.WRAP` style, as it calculates the preferred size based on the assumption that the text is not wrapped.

In this case, you can use the `getTextBounds()` method of the `GC` class to calculate the actual size of the text in the widget. Here's an example code snippet that demonstrates how to use this method:

```

StyledText styledText = new StyledText(parent, SWT.WRAP);

styledText.setText("Some long text that is wrapped in the widget");

GC gc = new GC(styledText);

try {

Point size = gc.textExtent(styledText.getText());

Rectangle bounds = gc.getTextBounds(0, styledText.getTopPixel(), styledText.getText().length());

int height = bounds.y + bounds.height + styledText.getBorderWidth() * 2;

int width = size.x + styledText.getBorderWidth() * 2;

styledText.setSize(width, height);

} finally {

gc.dispose();

}

```

In this example, we first create a new `StyledText` widget with the `SWT.WRAP` style, and set its text to a long string that will be wrapped. We then create a new `GC` object for the widget, and use its `textExtent()` method to get the size of the text when it is not wrapped.

Next, we use the `getTextBounds()` method of the `GC` object to get the actual size of the text in the widget, taking into account the wrapping. We add the border width of the widget to the height and width calculated from the text bounds, and set the size of the widget accordingly using the `setSize()` method.

Note that this code assumes that the widget has no horizontal scroll bar. If the widget can be scrolled horizontally, you may need to adjust the width calculation accordingly.

I do not see a getTextBounds method in SWT GC

I apologize for the confusion. You are correct that the `getTextBounds()` method is not available in SWT's `GC` class.

Instead, you can use the `TextLayout` class to calculate the actual size of the text in a `StyledText` widget with the `SWT.WRAP` style. Here's an example code snippet that demonstrates how to use this class:

```

StyledText styledText = new StyledText(parent, SWT.WRAP);

styledText.setText("Some long text that is wrapped in the widget");

GC gc = new GC(styledText);

try {

TextLayout layout = new TextLayout(styledText.getDisplay());

layout.setText(styledText.getText());

layout.setWidth(styledText.getClientArea().width);

Rectangle bounds = layout.getBounds();

int height = bounds.height + styledText.getBorderWidth() * 2;

int width = bounds.width + styledText.getBorderWidth() * 2;

styledText.setSize(width, height);

} finally {

gc.dispose();

}

```

In this example, we first create a new `StyledText` widget with the `SWT.WRAP` style, and set its text to a long string that will be wrapped. We then create a new `GC` object for the widget, and use it to create a new `TextLayout` object.

We set the text of the `TextLayout` object to the text of the `StyledText` widget, and set its width to the width of the client area of the widget. We then use the `getBounds()` method of the `TextLayout` object to get the actual size of the text in the widget, taking into account the wrapping. We add the border width of the widget to the height and width calculated from the text bounds, and set the size of the widget accordingly using the `setSize()` method.

Note that this code assumes that the widget has no horizontal scroll bar. If the widget can be scrolled horizontally, you may need to adjust the width calculation accordingly.

That's it!

I'm glad to hear that the solution works for you! If you have any further questions or issues, feel free to ask.

Back to the top