Re: [eclipse-dev] No more handles in SWT, can this number be configured?

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 7:09 PM Lars Vogel <lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Mickael,

thanks for the answer. We already using Sleak and have already
implemented sharing of Colors and Images. Fonts are currently not
re-used we only create 4 fonts (confirmed via Sleak), so not a lot of
save here.

Some tabs have between approx. 200 UI elements so once we reach ~100
tabs the app crashes.

Disposing / recreating the hidden tabs is something that we are
considering  but this will be a big re-write; to make it simpler we
currently close tabs if we reach a certain boundary.

Would be nice to be able to ask SWT at runtime for the currently
allocated handlers so that we can be a bit more reactive to the
currently available handlers instead of just using a hard-tab limit.

I'm not sure how feasible such an API is as I have my doubts about being able to implement it for all 3 WSs.

Best regards, Lars

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 4:18 PM Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Lars,
>
> Have you investigated whether some of the handles could be avoided (eg share Font/Colors instead of recreating them, ensuring they're disposed, enabling a strategy to deactivate/dispose content of hidden tabs to recreate it later...) ?
> FWIW, this is the kind of issue I didn't see for a long time, but when we faced it many years ago for some product, Sleak helped us to sort out which resource we were instantiating too much: https://www.slideshare.net/souillac/eclipsecon2010-no-more-handles and it was just always the same color we were using on many widgets and that we failed at disposing. Sleak may also have some capabilities to get system info about remaining handles.
>
> HTH

Eclipse Platform project co-lead
CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg