Re: [eclipse-dev] Rename download.eclipse.org/eclipse to download.eclipse.org/platform?

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm wondering whether http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/ wouldn't better being name download.eclipse.org/platform to make a better distinction with the various meanings of "eclipse".
If we go for that move, it would probably involve making d.e.org/eclipse redirect to d.e.o/platform so it wouldn't break anyone, and changing most documentations and link websites to fix those URLs.
Depending on how the Foundation staff finds it useful, we might even be able to ask them for contribution regarding docs and website so it would be less work for the current contributors.

WDYT?

If we are to be punctual "platform" is a pretty bad name because this is way more than platform - there are JDT bits, PDE, Equinox, RCP and etc. When looking for some of those it would be pretty confusing to go to "platform" download page. I'm not saying "eclipse" is the best but "platform" is even worse IMHO as it's not representative of the content nor it's smth people are used to. Outside of the group of committers platform would be meaningless IMHO.

Alex

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse IDE developer, at Red Hat Developers community