[eclipse-dev] Fwd: [cbi-dev] reproducible version qualifiers and baseline comparison

Later,
PW

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Igor Fedorenko <igor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Subject: [cbi-dev] reproducible version qualifiers and baseline comparison
To: Common-build Developers discussion <cbi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I've enabled generation of build qualifiers from git commit timestamp.

For bundle projects this means timestamp of the most recent commit that
touches any file under project basedir.

For features, it is the latest of the timestamp of the most recent
commit that touches any files under feature project basedir and
timestamp of any bundle/feature included in the feature. Tycho derives
timestamp of included bundles and features from their version qualifiers
and ignores any qualifier it can't interpret. This means that the
algorithm will miss feature qualifier updates and manual "version-bump"
commits will be necessary in some hopefully rare cases.

I also enabled baseline comparison. I used
http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.2 repository as baseline.
This is configured in eclipse-parent/pom.xml, so trivial to change to
another repository or repositories.

For now the build only compares with baseline and prints diagnostic
information but does not replace locally produced artifacts with
baseline version. You need run the build with -X parameter (debug info)
to see baseline comparison results and you almost certainly want to
redirect build output to a file. Search for "baseline and reactor have
same version but different contents" messages in the log.

I did not have time to look closely at this yet, but as far as I can
tell there are quite a few differences. Some of them, like missing
.api_description files, are expected, but others are probably not.

I wonder if somebody from the platform team can review the differences
and provide us with a list of problems?

--
Regards,
Igor