Re: [eclipse-dev] Re: [e4-dev] Eclipse Project 4.0 Release

Am 28.04.2010 18:28, schrieb Ian Skerrett:

> FWIW, I kind of like Eric's suggestion of 'Early Adopter Release', ie.
> Eclipse SDK 4.0 (Early Adopter Release).   It conveys that it is an
> 'early release' and ties in with the target audience, ie early adopters?

I think the main reason why this thread got so long is the nagging
feeling that people will be confused why we release 3.6 and 4.0 at the
same time. I, myself, am often confused which Eclipse download I should
get. SDK? PDE? JEE? If I get JEE, does that mean I can't develop
plugins? Does SDK include PDE? Or the other way around? You know what
I'm talking about.

Eclipse has become complex. While the team cares for "Eclipse Platform"
and then various projects around the platform, users don't understand
this. They don't know what they need and the descriptions of the
projects on the download pages don't really help to make an educated
decision. Two versions of Eclipse will make it worse :-)

So I really like the Early Adopter idea (except that it will stop 99% of
all people from looking at 4.0 - oh well) so my suggestion is to put
this first on the download page:

"Are you working on an important project, use a lot of plugins and all
hell will break loose if Eclipse behaves oddly? Then 3.6 is for you.

Do you develop plugins or RCP applications and the Eclipse API feels
kinda old? Then go to 4.0."

Additionally, people should have a download page where they can select
features (JEE, PDE, SDK, EMF, ... plus "With Sources") and a download
button and then they get a download ZIP with the files they need. But I
guess that should be a bug report instead.

Regards,

http://blog.pdark.de/

Back to the top