From: Mike Wilson <Mike_Wilson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2010-04-28 19:04
Subject: RE: [eclipse-dev] Re: [e4-dev] Eclipse Project 4.0 Release

I'm starting to warm to "Eclipse 4.0 Developer Release". It seems to have the right feel to me. The intent is for it to be complete and robust enough that developers from other projects and product teams can pick it up and begin working with it.

McQ.

Inactive hide details for John Arthorne---2010/04/28 12:03:16 PM---We had a discussion about this in the Eclipse project PMC caJohn Arthorne---2010/04/28 12:03:16 PM---We had a discussion about this in the Eclipse project PMC call today. We agreed that in light of the community feedback, some s

John Arthorne/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA

2010/04/28 12:03 PM

RE: [eclipse-dev] Re: [e4-dev] Eclipse Project 4.0 Release

We had a discussion about this in the Eclipse project PMC call today. We agreed that in light of the community feedback, some sort of qualifier on the name is needed to help send the right message about the release. We didn't come up with a good candidate for that name in the call, but will brainstorm on it. The message we want to send is that is a major new release of the platform, but this is only a small part of the Eclipse Foundation technology stack. A release is needed so that we can produce something sufficiently polished for the release train and wider ecosystem of people building plugins on top of the platform to pick it up and start adopting it. We will then be in a position to produce a future simultaneous release that incorporates a 4.x release of the platform.

Most of us liked the "Indigo/Isaac Preview" direction but ultimately it will be up to the Planning Council to make the call on whether a 4.x release will be the basis for the Indigo release. I also suggested something like "Eclipse 4.0 Developer Release" sets the right tone. It also just occurred to me that since only the "Eclipse Classic" package is part of this release, something like "Eclipse Classic 4.0" would make sense (although this sounds odd that the "classic" package is ahead of the rest). In any case, everyone please send along any concrete naming suggestions, and as Ian mentioned there will also be a regular "evangelism" call for those interested in participating in the discussion as well.

John

Eric Clayberg <clayberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/28/2010 10:17 AM

Please respond to
"General development mailing list of the Eclipse project." <eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
RE: [eclipse-dev] Re: [e4-dev] Eclipse Project 4.0 Release

I agree 100%. We are already seeing our commercial customers starting
to ask (e.g., demand to know) when we will be supporting Eclipse 4.0
with all of our products. The perception is definitely out there that
4.0 is the next great release of Eclipse and that 3.6 is just an
(minor? maintenance?) update to the "old" 3.x version. Anyone who
reads these lists or pays close attention to what is really going on
in Eclipse-land knows better, but that is a small minority compared
to the huge mass of Eclipse users out there who will simply assume
that 4.0 is the latest and greatest and the place they should be as
soon as it is released. Those folks will likely be very disappointed
if they try to immediately move to 4.0 and discover that only a
handful of Eclipse.org projects and 3rd party plugins actually
support it. Some sort of (strong) qualifier (Preview, Beta, Early
Availability, Early Adopter, etc. are all good) is definitely needed
to mitigate the possible damage to the Eclipse brand and ecosystem
and set the proper expectations in the minds of the early adopters
(and keep the number of those early adopters to a manageable level).

-Eric