Re: [eclipse-dev] Galileo - Upgrade to ICU 4.0

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Eugene Kuleshov <eu@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Paul,
>
>  Are you planning to continue distributing icu 3.x version as part of the
> Platfrom?

No.

> If not, would such change is going to break plugins that declare
> required icu version like this:
>
> Require-Bundle:
> com.ibm.icu;bundle-version="[3.4.0,4.0.0)"

Yes, it will.  This is being done now to give everybody a chance to
modify their imports, either to what I specified in my original email
or to:

com.ibm.icu;bundle-version="[3.4.0,4.2.0)"

The reason is the normal versioning requirements don't apply to ICU,
or "4.0.0)" would be expected.

>  Should platform plugins that import icu packages or require icu bundle
> declare minimum version of icu? If icu version is not declared, would those
> plugins break if old version of icu would be available at runtime?

AFAIK Equinox will pick the highest versioned bundle that satisfies
any constraints, and declaring no version is no constraint.  For
example, platform UI doesn't declare a version, although if you depend
on API introduced in a specific lib you should declare at least your
minimum.

>  I also wonder what are the reasons for updating icu version?

New functionality and language support in ICU 4.0 is necessary to meet
changing i18n requirements (or so I was told).  It also includes fixes
that supports BiDi and calendar specifications.

Later,
PW

--
Paul Webster