To: eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [eclipse-dev] Eclipse, Xerces, and 1.4 VMs
From: Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 21:26:18 -0400

--=_alternative 00074F6C85256DBB_=

Bob,

While we are considering/doing a number of significant changes for 3.0, I
think you will find that *massive* effort has gone into minimizing and in
fact eliminating API breakage.  I know the UI guys have been agonizing
over this and the Equinox team spent much of the summer building a binary
compatible backward compatibility layer that now basically enables all of
Eclipse and more to run on a completely different runtime with NO changes.

In short, we take breaking API very seriously.  Removing Xerces lives in
the gray area of API.  While we don't make any particular claims, removing
it would certainly cause some plugins to stop working.  Thus our caution.

Jeff

"Bob Foster" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
10/09/2003 09:00 PM