[eclipse-dev] GPL'd Plug-ins

Hi,

I've noticed that there are eclipse plug-ins available that are licensed
under the GPL (but not from eclipse.org).  I was just wondered if, given
the incompatibility between the GPL and CPL, GPL'd  plug-ins are
acceptable.

It seems to me that the when a GPL'd plug-in is loaded, the GPL would
consume the framework unless the plug-in runs as a separate program and
talks to the framework through some kind of IPC scheme (I'm not familiar
with the details of how plug-ins are loaded in eclipse, I really doubt
it works that way).

Can anyone comment on whether or not GPL'd (not LGPL'd) plug-ins are ok
form a licensing perspective?

Thanks,

John

Back to the top