Re: [eclipse-dev] FYI: Compiler warnings

This used to be true in the past - we were shipping lucene and lucene-demos
JARs.
There was nothing in the lucene-demos that we could use without
modification for 2.1, hence we do not ship the demos jar anymore, but build
a parser.jar that contains modified code.

Konrad Kolosowski
Eclipse Help System

                      Jeff
                      McAffer/Ottawa/IBM        To:       eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      @IBMCA                    cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  Re: [eclipse-dev] FYI: Compiler warnings
                      eclipse-dev-admin@
                      eclipse.org

                      03/07/2003 10:02
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      eclipse-dev

Question:

Why are we compiling anything for Lucene?  I thought this was a third party
library that we are just reshipping.

Jeff

   "Olivier Thomann"
   <Olivier_Thomann@xxxxxxxxxx>                 To:
                                        eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                cc:
   03/07/2003 08:54 AM                          Subject:        Re:
   Please respond to eclipse-dev        [eclipse-dev] FYI: Compiler
                                        warnings

I noticed that some teams fixed their warnings. The remaining warnings are
mostly unused imports. This means it is trivial to remove them. It would be
nice if we could get rid of all these warnings before 2.1.

The remaining warnings are:
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+---+-----|

| /plugins/org.apache.lucene_1.2.1/parser.jar.bin.log
| 0 | 2   |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+---+-----|

| /plugins/org.eclipse.help.webapp_2.1.0/WEB-INF/lib/jsp.jar.bin.log
| 0 | 22  |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+---+-----|

| /plugins/org.eclipse.ui.views_2.1.0/views.jar.bin.log
| 0 | 1   |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+---+-----|

| /plugins/org.eclipse.help.ui_2.1.0/helpworkbench.jar.bin.log
| 0 | 1   |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+---+-----|

| /plugins/org.eclipse.jdt.junit_2.1.0/junitsupport.jar.bin.log
| 0 | 1   |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+---+-----|

In org.apache.lucene, 1 is an unused import and the second one is the usage
of a static field using a non-static context.
Solution:
1) Remove the unused import
2) Replace:
     parser.summary.setLength(parser.SUMMARY_LENGTH);
with:
     parser.summary.setLength(HTMLParser.SUMMARY_LENGTH);

All others are usage of unused imports. It takes 2 minutes to fix all of
them. Like DJ said, set your compiler settings to report an error instead
of a warning.

Olivier

                     DJ

                     Houghton/Ottawa/IB        To:
eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

                     M@IBMCA                   cc:

                     Sent by:                  Subject:  [eclipse-dev] FYI:
Compiler warnings
                     eclipse-dev-admin@

                     eclipse.org

                     02/27/03 10:52 AM

                     Please respond to

                     eclipse-dev

http://download2.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/I-I20030227-200302270800/testResults.php

FYI, on the "Test Results" page for the downloads, there are the compiler
logs. These log files currently contain a bunch of compiler warnings which
include some simple things like unused imports.

It would be nice if our code was able to compile without warnings and we
could get rid of these log files on the web.

Note, what I do is set things like "unused imports" to a severity of
"error" in my compiler warnings. That way I don't accidentally release it
to the repository.