[eclipse-dev] Extension point schema ownership transition

Teams,

As announced before, PDE team is in the process of donating extension point
schema files to the rightful owners. As the owner of the largest number of
extension points, platform UI team kindly served as a guinea pig and
apparently survived the experiment :-). We worked with them during
milestones 3 and 4 to smooth out any glitches and polish the schema editor
for general use.

We would now like to extend the transition to the rest of the Eclipse
project. To that end, we have compiled a step-by-step transition guide that
will make it a snap, particularly if your team has only a couple of
extension points (as is the usual case). Since the files in our possetion
are at 2.0 level, in some cases you may find them completely accurate or
needing only minor changes. The document can be found at:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/pde-ui-home/working/extension-point-schemas.html

Note that the deadline for transition is Milestone 5. Our goal is to pull
the plug after that and only use the files defined by the teams.
Missing/incorrect schemas will affect manifest file editing and validation,
give you wrong context assist/code completion choices, generate incorrect
reference documentation etc. Naturally, we will redirect all the defects of
that nature to your inbox after M5 :-).

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Platform Components