Re: [eclipse-dev] Opera/Mozilla style mouse/pen gesture recognition in Eclipse

For one, Mozilla doesn't use Motif. Can't speak for Opera.

"Chris McLaren" <Chris_McLaren@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
11/27/02 10:01 AM
Please respond to eclipse-dev

        To:     eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        [eclipse-dev] Opera/Mozilla style mouse/pen gesture recognition in Eclipse

Thanks for the comments. Mouse gestures will be a preference, which is off
by default.

Some people commented about the 'rocker' gesture - a different type of
gesture where one presses the primary mouse button then presses the
secondary mouse button (or visa versa) in a 'rocking' motion, usually
assigned to backward and forward navigation (but should probably be user
definable).

I didn't add this feature yet because I wanted to first discuss the
implications of sharing the primary (usually left) mouse button with the
editor developers (like Kai, specifically). Getting the secondary button
seems fairly non-invasive so far, with the exception of this context menu
issue on Motif, but for the rocker gesture you can't really have one
direction without the other and until the implications of sharing the
primary button are understood, rocker gestures should remain out.

Regarding Motif, I suppose a preference to enable mouse gestures (meaning
the user has to 'sign up' for the change in behavior) won't be sufficient
for hardcode Motif users. I'm not sure how Opera/Mozilla solve this issue
on Motif, if at all. Could someone investigate this? Another option I have
is allowing the user to specify that one or more modifier keys (Ctrl, Alt,
Shift, Command) must be pressed to enable gesture recognition. This should
solve the problem on Motif, but unfortunately will make the feature
somewhat less useful. Mozilla supports modifier keys as a preference.

Chris.

Back to the top