[eclipse-dev] Eclipse IRC channel in business

FYI,

With the opening of the OTI firewall to allow outgoing IRC connections,
the #eclipse IRC channel on irc.openprojects.net is now open for
business.

It is currently populated by a few users, and several engineers from the
debug team...we need developers from other teams too :-) IRC is an
excellent mechanism for much more than just user support (IMO that's not
even its most important use): its also an important tool for forming a
healthy open source community. IRC provides for open source projects the
social interaction that occurs naturally in a company where people are
physically around each other and is very important in both acquiring new
developers and keeping existing developers on the same page.

Even if this doesn't sound too exciting right now I'd encourage you to
try lurking for a couple weeks to see how it works out. Its bound to be
silly for a week or so as people become accustomed to actually working
over the medium, but I can almost guarentee it will get better!

To connect:

    On Windows try mIRC (on the OTI pre-approved list) or ChatZilla
(included with Mozilla, try clicking on this link if you use mozilla:
irc://irc.openprojects.net/%23eclipse ).

    On Linux try X-Chat which is included with most distributions.

    Enter "irc.openprojects.net" for the server name, and "#eclipse" for
the channel. If you're having trouble connecting feel free to send me a
personal message and I can probably help you out.

Hope to see you online,

-Seth

Back to the top