[eclipse-dev] Less deprecation warnings by default

From today's 2.1 build on, the Java compiler will no longer report
deprecation warnings inside deprecated code by default.
An option will soon be surfaced in the UI for changing back to the old
behavior. We changed the default after getting
many complaints from end-users who were annoyed by deprecation warnings
which they had to live with, when preserving
some deprecated API implementations. Users would typically manually
filtering out all deprecation warnings, including
ones they should have considered for real. We thus believe the new behavior
is more appropriate and should be
exposed asap.

Until the UI surfaces the option to show all deprecation warnings, you can
change the option by manually editting
the JDT/Core preference store as follows:

- edit file
<workspaceLocation>/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.jdt.core/pref_store.ini
- add following line:

org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.problem.deprecationInDeprecatedCode=enabled
- restart Eclipse and rebuild all.

Back to the top