[eclipse-dev] Minutes from 08/28 planning meeting

As we move forward with our 2.1 development activities we are making a
concerted effort to expose more of our development activities in public
forums like this mailing list. Every week the component leads and PMC
members get together to review the current status of the project
and highlight items that we are working on. This is a forum that we use to
keep our development process on track. Starting now we are going to publish
the minutes of these meetings.

If you have suggestions on how we can further improve our open source
development process please let us know

      The Eclipse PMC

Meeting notes 08/28

*** Status ***

JDT
      -     progress on extract interface refactoring
      -     Variables view in debugger preserves expansion state
      -     bug fixing

Text
      -     splitting the text support from org.eclipse.ui into a separate
            plugin
      -     separation was done and start-up costs were measured. The
            overhead of the additional plugin indirection are between 0.3
            and 1.0 seconds.
      -     should move ahead on this next week.
      -     investigation into text folding support

Install/update, Help, PDE
      -     2.0.1 work - issues with optional features

SWT
      -     mostly bug fixing

CORE
      -     investigation into reviving the code that supports generalized
            resource mapping
      -     bug fixing

VCM
      -     spent time looking at SSH issues.

Platform UI
      -     many developers on vacation
      -     exploring improved Task View
      -     bug fixing

Releng
      -     2.0.1 builds

*** Retrospective Actions ***
We did retrospectives with different teams. The findings were
presented and we agreed on the following set of actions for the 2.1 effort:
This document is available on eclipse.org at:

http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/2_0_retrospective_actions.html

*** Development Streams ***

2.0.1       the maintenance stream
2.1   the current development stream. It has to be API compatible with
2.0.1.
      In addition to some key functionality we will add interesting new
      functionality that makes 2.1 even more attractive to users.
      We will post a "proto plan" for 2.1 to eclipse.org. This document is
      available on eclipse.org at:

http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/eclipse_project_plan_2_1.html

Back to the top