Re:[eclipse-dev] File permissions on HP-UX

Update will opt for Monday 8:00am. We need extra time to be 100% happy with
the fixes.

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Application Development
D2/MY7/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4854

                      "Dean Roberts"
                      <Dean_Roberts@oti.        To:       eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      com>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  Re:[eclipse-dev] File permissions on HP-UX
                      eclipse-dev-admin@
                      eclipse.org

                      08/22/2002 04:01
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      eclipse-dev

Grant,

There will be a rebuild for 2.0.1.  There are a few teams that have fixes
to make.

The teams I know that need fixes in are:
        Core
        SWT
        Update

When do you think you can have your fixes in by?

...Dean...

   "Grant Gayed"
   <Grant_Gayed@xxxxxxx>                   To:
   Sent by:                        eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
   eclipse-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx           cc:
                                   Re:[eclipse-dev] File permissions on
   08/22/2002 03:51 PM             HP-UX
   Please respond to eclipse-dev

*sigh*  So now I realize that I forgot to make the corresponding build.xml
change when I released swt's permissions.properties file.  I've now made
the change in both streams, but this is too late for the 2.0.1 stream if it
was hoped that yesterday's build would be its last (?).  If this is the
case then a rebuild of at least swt will be needed in order for the hp-ux
fix to take effect.

Grant

                     dejan@xxxxxxxxxx

                     Sent by:                   To:
eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

                     eclipse-dev-admin@         cc:

                     eclipse.org                Subject: Re:[eclipse-dev]
File permissions on HP-UX

                     08/22/2002 01:45

                     PM

                     Please respond to

                     eclipse-dev

Not all the UNIX flawors require their shared libraries to be executable in
order to be loaded. In fact, we have only encountered a problem with HP-UX
*.sl libraries. Linux, AIX and Solaris libraries do not require this.

The file in org.eclipse.core.resources.linux is not needed because Linux
does not require their libraries to be executable. In fact, as you pointed
out, the absence of permissions.properties in build.properties file (key
'bin.includes') is preventing the file for reaching us at all because it
will not show up in the build and hence in the packaged JAR.

Bottom line:

Only 'true' executable UNIX files (like programs or shell scripts) AND
HP-UX shared libraries (*.sl) need to be listed in this
permissions.properties file. And don't forget to include the file in
bin.includes.

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Application Development
D2/MY7/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4854

                     Pat

                     McCarthy/Raleigh/I        To:
eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                     BM@IBMUS                  cc:

                     Sent by:                  Subject:  Re:[eclipse-dev]
File permissions on HP-UX
                     eclipse-dev-admin@

                     eclipse.org

                     08/22/2002 01:01

                     PM

                     Please respond to

                     eclipse-dev

If I read your entry correctly, all unix like executables (.so, .sl,
...) need to be referenced in the permissions.properties file.

I see some in the CVS 2_0_1 branch:
org.eclipse.core.resources.linux has a permissions.properties that
contains permissions.executable=os/linux/*.so

In that the dir structure in this plugin is
os/linux/x86/libcore_2_0_5.so - would the above entry actually work?

Also, if a permissions.properties is needed, should it also be
referenced in the build.properties bin.includes entry so it is added to
the packaged jar file?

Pat McCarthy