[eclipse-dev] Final PDE layout in M5 build

PDE restructuring has been completed. As you know, we have encountered
unexpected backward compatibility issues with nature/builder IDs. From
several options to preserve compatibility with 1.0 workspaces, we have
chosen to resurrect org.eclipse.pde plug-in and move only nature/builder
code  into it.

The final layout is:

- org.eclipse.pde.core -  PDE models and model managers (non-UI)
- org.eclipse.pde - PDE natures and incremental builders (non-UI)
- org.eclipse.pde.ui - the UI stuff

Because natures and builders are in the plug-in that has the same ID as
before, there will be no breakage. However, those of you that diligently
fixed your .project files (if they contained PDE references) will have to
do it again (i.e. revert to the state before M5). We are sorry for this
inconvenience. If this sounds like an automated message from your phone
company, we are sorry for that too :-).

Fixup instruction: check your project's .project file and if you see any
reference to 'org.eclipse.pde.ui', change it into 'org.eclipse.pde'. If you
don't have any PDE references, there is nothing to fix.

The remaining hiccup is related to persisted UI information that contains
org.eclipse.pde references. This is mostly related to features introduced
in 2.0 and starting with a clean workspace is enough to get around it. This
mostly relates to persisted launch configuration information. If you feel
adventurous, you can go into debug metadata and fix the XML file manually.

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Application Development
D2/MY7/8200/MKM