Re: [ecf-dev] New tutorial: Building your first Asynchronous Remote Service

Hi Christiano,

On 1/20/2014 7:26 AM, Cristiano Gavião wrote:
Hi Scott and others,

other day I was reading the new version of RFC-206 and noted that the spec got a different path other than the used by ECF.

I could see the use of an Async Service, an asynchronous mediator and use its own Promise class instead Future... sounds interesting since we don't need to create specific interface and methods to do asynch calls.

Have you take a look on it ? Could you give me your impressions about it ?

I've read it.   My own opinion is that currently it's fairly complex (new classes/API...e.g. Promise rather than concurrent Future, etc)...and therefore requires quite a lot from the service developer/programmer.   I don't think the complexity of the current RFC is desirable, although the functionality (for both local and remote services) is obviously desirable IMHO.

Nonetheless, ECF's impl of OSGi Remote Services will certainly support it...if/when it makes it into the spec.    Not sure yet whether we will do an implementation or share impl efforts with others (i.e. use Felix/Equinox, etc)...but I would personally rather share an implementation than do one ourselves.

In either case, we will *also* continue to expose asynchronous remote services...as described in the tutorial.  Not in exclusion or competition with RFC 206, but rather in addition.

Scott

Back to the top