Re: ECF non-EPL code moved to github (was Re: [ecf-dev] Move to GIT)

Hi Markus,

My GitHub username is my email ID, "harshana05<AT>gmail<DOT>com"

On 30 June 2010 03:00, Markus Alexander Kuppe <ecf-dev_eclipse.org@lemmster.de> wrote:
On 06/14/2010 08:11 PM, Wim Jongman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have discussed the move to GIT on the conference call. We have agreed
> to move to GIT as soon as possible. There are a couple of things that
> need to be solved in our way of working which we can discuss here:
>
> One advantage of GIT is to have a staged repository. This means that
> check-ins do not pile up in your workspace but that you can frequently
> commit in your local repository. This sounds good but it comes with its
> own sets of threats. For example, programmers tend to become more
> isolated because their work is not frequently merged to the master
> repository (if somebody again says there is no master repository, I
> start screaming ;). Also, if the programmer loses his/her local disk
> then a lot of changes can get lost because of local only check-ins. In
> contrast check-ins to CVS HEAD require high quality bites of code which
> forces the programmer to think/work like that.
>
> Markus suggested to have some kind of intermediate repository (lets say
> TEST) where work can be merged and build without breaking the build on
> the master repository. This could even be automated, when the TEST build
> succeeds, all changes are released to the master repository.
>
> We have talked about the lack of eclipse integration. The CVS
> state-of-the-art is not available in GIT yet but better integration and
> adoption rate should run parallel.  I have worked on some issue a few
> months ago in EGit and they have a really committed team. I expect that
> GIT integration will become better real quick.
>
> GIT also allows us to use code reviews tools like Gerrit. We have to ask
> the GIT team how this increases the workload, but a bug in one of my own
> contributions was caught early this way so I can state from personal
> experience/shame that this works.

Hi,

the non-EPL CVS repo hosted at ecf1.osuosl.org has been retired in favor
of a git repo at github [0]. This means you will have to use git now
instead of CVS to access the code. Committers will also have to setup a
github account and be added to the team at github. Just respond to this
mail with your user name.

For the moment the old CVS repo is set to read-only and will be turned
off in the next couple of days. Websites and builds will be updated as
we go.

Markus

[0] http://github.com/ECF/ecf-nonepl

Thanks and Regards,