Re: ECF development process (was Re: [ecf-dev] Re: Tool Evaluation: Atlassian FishEye (Repo Browsing and Stats) and Crucible (Code Reviews))

Hi,

What is recognizable in every growing project is the burden of
maintenance. All artifacts that are brought into the project have to
be accepted also on the basis of maintainability. For example, making
a .psf file seems like a good idea in the beginning but if there is no
focussed maintenance on it then things like that can degrade the
overall quality.

Mik Kersten once told me that donating stuff to a project is like
giving a puppy. It seems all nice and yippee in the beginning but you
have responsibility for years to come. A great metaphor.

If stuff is accepted then we need to embed maintenance in the
development process as well. Think of articles, wiki pages, helptext,
releng stuff etcetera. It would be great if some kind of workflow
could be hooked to the code-review.

Code review is a good thing but it comes with a price. I would rather
opt for better tests. For code-review to work, we would have to work
in small tasks, clearly document the things that have been fixed, how
it can be tested, etc.. I have been doing some small work for the GIT
project and their Gerrit reviewer seems to work well.

I am very interested in your experiment with Crucible.

Regards,

Wim