Re: [ecf-dev] multiple service call

HI Abhisek,

abhisek saikia wrote:
Hi Scott
Thanks a lot for your response.Actually my load balancer needs to handle the following 2 queries

Query1:: consumer needs to make service calls to all the provider and get the result and combine it.
  Query2::   consumer needs to make service call in round robin fashion

  Following is one of  my abstract ideas

1)i have a cluster service run by jgroup which has info about node type and its state(alive or not).

2)consumer can ask the cluster for list of alive provider nodes

3)for Query1 ,get the alive provider nodes and make service call using ECF generic 4)for Query2,get any one alive provider node based on round robin and make service call using ECF generic

Could you please suggest whether i can go ahead with this approach using ECF generic.

This certainly could be done. If I understand you correctly, it might require some significant work...i.e. to deal with issues of timing/fail over/availability, etc., but it could be done...with the ECF generic provider. I don't think I will be personally able to help out with the implementation of such a thing over the next few months, but I would/will do as much as I practically can to help support it if you go this direction, given my own work needs/resources (e.g. if fixes/enhancements are needed to ECF generic provider or remote services infrastructure in general).

Whether i need to do some changes to make ECF generic fit into this approach.Or do you suggest to go ahead with JMS.

I would say the 'correct' decision here does depend upon your environment, requirements, and resources. If you have requirements (e.g. for environment, integration, etc) that dictate using javagroups/multicast IP over (e.g.) ActiveMQ...or some other JMS impl, then obviously those requirements would dictate such choices. The javagroups provider has not been as heavily used to this point as some of the other providers...but ECF committer Pierre Henry Perret has used it some himself, and probably can provide the best support for it's usage in more significant use contexts...but I can't speak directly to Pierre's availability or willingness to provide such support (especially for free). Further, the javagroups provider is currently based on a relatively old version of javagroups. I *think* making based on a more recent version would not be a big deal technically, but I can't guarantee either I or Pierre will have the resources to do this in the near future without some external support to do so...e.g. direct support/contracting with Pierre/myself or both to make this happen.

So, in short I think that either strategy would be workable...and which one makes sense really does depend, I think, on your target deployment environment, requirements, and resources. I don't really see any technical blockers in either direction...and would be happy to see either approach actually instantiated for you/your target users/customer's benefit. But I would encourage you to think carefully about the your own requirements and resources, in order to choose between the approaches.

Thanks,

Scott

Back to the top