[ecf-dev] Re: [osgi-dev] Best practice to decouple remote technology from bundles

Hi Eugen,

I think this discussion should be moved over to ecf-dev at eclipse.org so I'm going to repost it there and respond in that forum with comments WRT ECF.

Scott

Eugen Reiswich wrote:
Hey folks,

as I understand ECF is a layer above a specific remote communication technology (like RMI) and it's various APIs can be used without the knowledge of the underlying remote technology. But as far as I understand there has to be an ECF specific implementation for a remote communication technology which acts as a communication bridge between the ECF API and the underlying technology. If this is the case I would:

1. need to wait for a new ECF implementation for RCF 119
2. hope that the ECF implementation is as reliable as the underlying technology

If this is correct I would on the one hand decrease the dependency to a specific communication technology in my code but I would on the other hand create a new one to ECF. What if the ECF implementations are too buggy for business applications? How much effort do I have to spent to switch to pure RMI/Riena etc. without ECF?

I would like to decouple my application completely from a specific technology and use the plug-in concepts of OSGi to add e.g. an RMI bundle for RMI communication, ECF bundle to switch to RMI over ECF or something else but without code changes in my main application.

Regards,
Eugen