Re: [ecf-dev]Customize selection of RemoteServices Providers to expose / consume a service

Hi Philip,

Konradi, Philipp wrote:

Hi all,

in _http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/ecf-dev/msg02281.html_ as well as in today’s conf call Scott described and asked for comments about the newest additions to RFC 119 / Distributed OSGi support: the IProxyContainerFinder / IHostContainerFinder interfaces as a way to customize the selection of ECF Remote Services Providers to expose / consume a service.

I think that this extensions are important means for application developers / ECF extenders and starting here a new thread to discuss them and try to uncover missing point if there are some.

When looking closely at the IHostContainerFinder interface:

*public** interface* IHostContainerFinder {

* public* IRemoteServiceContainer[] findHostContainers(

ServiceReference serviceReference, String[] remoteInterfaces,

String[] remoteConfigurationType, String[] remoteRequiresIntents);

I’ve got the impression that a it fulfills two tasks:

1. Check which provider is capable to expose the service (based on interface, intents, configuration, …)

2. Select from multiple suitable providers the ones which should actually take care of service exposure

Is my understanding correct?

Yes.

If yes: Task 1. requires very good knowledge of each available provider… is the implementer of IHostContainerFinder extension point supposed to have it?

Yes...but just to be clear the IHostContainerFinder is not an extension point (yet), it's just a service interface.

This capability check is also required at the client/proxy side, to be taken care by IProxyContainerFinder?

Yes.

Regards,

Philipp

P.S.: just a minor remark: Given that this extension point selects the providers from the available ones and not really “finds” them, maybe we should rename it to something like xxxContainerSelector?

Calling it Selector would be reasonable if people prefer it...although a 'finder' is able to select from available ones *and/or* create new ones.

Again if people think Selector would be better (given that it can indeed create or select) I'm open to it...but we would have to come to consensus to make the name change quickly.

Thanks for questions and comments.

Scott