[ecf-dev] RT Shared Editing Call

Hi,

This is a short summary of our call from earlier today, see http://doodle.com/participation.html?pollId=kwgxp28yq3stpu3x

James, Remy, Marcelo, Scott and I were on the call.

James outlined what their use case(s) for utilizing ECF shared editing look like. They're apparently building an Eclipse-based IDE for a not further specified language - from what I understood, probably something along the lines of VHDL/hardware-descriptive.

The primary representation seems to be an abstract model, which can be mapped to various textual and graphical representations.

Real-Time Shared Editing which supports modification of the graphical model representation is their main interest.

From an ECF point of view, James' interest is very fortunate, since we've been thinking about tackling the extension of shared editing beyond the text domain and struggling with coming up with a suitable use case.

I've suggested that James watches the Cola Google Tech Talk from last year [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfeUCT-tRJQ ], since in the case of modification of graphical models, we will have to identify atomic operations, conflicts and resolutions that are different from text editing. The general resolution mechanism will remain similar.

The current plan is to follow up with another conference call, either next week or the week after.

In the second part of the call, I've shared an idea about which Scott and I had talked about during EclipseCon. I would love for us to explore the feasibility of extending and integrating Workspace Resource Sharing and DocShare.

The use case I have in mind would involve a user to share a project and all initial resources with a remote user. All subsequent changes to the project, such as the addition and removal of resources (e.g. new files etc.) would be propagated to the respective remote site transparently. As soon as two users open the same project file in an editor, this new integrated project sharing feature would initialize a real-time shared editing session for the file - also done transparently without prompting a user.

Let's bounce this idea off of each other and brainstorm if this would be something you'd like to see materialize in one form or another.

Feedback is *welcome* ;)

Back to the top