Re: [ecf-dev] authentication and file transfer API

Hi Jeff,

Jeff McAffer wrote:

Scott,

I did not mean to imply you were not just that the bridge must be crossed at some point.

I also totally agree and understand the issues.  Equinox has a significant incubation element that has experienced many multi-month delays waiting for IP issues.  I don't see it as a big/corporate vs. small/independent issue.  Its more the projects that are exploring new areas and touching lots of new/external technologies.  TPTP for example currently has more than double the outstanding CQs than all of the Technology projects combined.

I don't disagree with your observations about the problems encountered by all projects.  Small projects, however, generally have fewer people/resources to deal with all the associated 'busy work' requirements (e.g. filling out CQ's, communicating with foundation and library authors) in parallel with having/wanting to move forward with design/development/deployment/support/documentation, etc.  So all I'm saying is that the effects are in practice larger on the small projects that are touching new/external technologies (as it's a more significant drain on their resources).

In any event, as you know, the Foundation is currently taking a number of different steps to address the situation and the backlog is dropping.   We'll have to wait and see how this evolves.

Yeah, I agree.  I'm hopeful that progress is being made/will be made next week.

Scott

Jeff

Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ecf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/09/2006 06:39 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Communication Framework \(ECF\) developer mailing list."        <ecf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject
Re: [ecf-dev] authentication and file transfer API

Hi Jeff/Remy,

As the one who has been 'walking the IP walk' for ECF for nearly two years now I can tell you we're doing what's required.

Unfortunately, in my view this has been at significant cost to ECF's speed of progress.  The 'heavyweightness' of the IP process hampers small projects much more than large/corp supported ones...and as you know it hampers the large ones to a significant degree.

Scott

Jeff McAffer wrote:

Absolutely.  Nothing has changed in the process.  ANY project wanting to use ANY third party lib/code MUST file a CQ with the foundation.  In the event that that lib/version has already been approved for use in another project AND that approval was scoped for "all", this is pretty much of a rubber stamp (but needed nonetheless).  You iwll not pass a release review without having walked the walk.

Jeff

"Remy Suen" <remy.suen@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by:
ecf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/08/2006 03:02 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Communication Framework \(ECF\) developer mailing list."
<ecf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject
Re: [ecf-dev] authentication and file transfer API

Hi everyone,

Well, ECF still needs to go through legal, though, no? I mean, after
ip process + sent out into Orbit. So claims the Orbit FAQ [1].

[1] -
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Orbit_Faq

Regards,
Rem