Re: [ecf-dev] No Mon 25th conference call, and ECF API work focus proposal

Hi everyone,

1) Fileshare API (org.eclipse.ecf.fileshare plugin).  I've been thinking
that this API should be simplified, and have started that effort with
some new interfaces in org.eclipse.ecf.filetransfer package (new package
in fileshare API plugin).  I would like to get others taking a look at
these directions and commenting on them (via this list) so that they can
be refined and completed quickly.

I took a quick look and it seems nice and clean in my opinion. I'm not sure if it was just me, but I think it's pretty difficult to get acquainted with ECF IDs and Namespaces, which anyone would have to understand if they wanted to write an implementation/provider, as I did in the summer with BitTorrent. This API is certainly a much simplified version of the original org.eclipse.ecf.fileshare one.

 Looking at the Fileshare API, I didn't see any special event for signaling
the current state of the instance of file shared.

I guess that some event as: startSending/finishSending/endShared
could be interesting to interface in the API.

I guess the IIncomingFileTransfer* events are probably a little misleading. Whilst there is a StartEvent and an EndEvent, there's also a DataEvent. So the question a developer would have to ponder over is whether the start/end events corresponds to a chunk of data or the entire file. I assuming it's a chunk, since that's how the old one worked anyway. If that's the case, I agree with Pierre that some generic "starting" and "done" events would certainly be a welcome addition.

Regards,
Rem

Back to the top