Re: [ecf-dev] Remote service API

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the comments/info.

Jeff McAffer wrote:

Yes, the evolution of the OSGi enterprise effort has been one motivator to look more closely at the ECF work.  Clearly the Eclipse community contains a large number of people from the "enterprise" space.  Given Eclipse's adoption of OSGi it is natural that we be very interested/involved in these efforts.  The Equinox project scope includes all things related to OSGi specifications.  In the past Equinox committers have worked very actively as part of the OSGi Core Platform Expert Group to address the needs of Eclipse.  ECF it turns out has developed a number of interesting approaches and technologies that look interesting from an enterprise perspective.

As the Enterprise EG forms and sets an agenda, the potential roles of Equinox and ECF (and the other Eclipse projects) will become more clear.  Right now it is hard to say which direction things will go and what will be needed.  With an emphasis on distribution ECF does seem to be relevant in this area.

One of the challenges will be to see *how* we can participate.  Currently OSGi is a closed specification body in that only full members are allowed to participate in the expert groups.  When the Eclipse Foundation does become a member it would likely be as an associate member.  It is not clear that being a full member would then suddenly confer rights to Eclipse members or committers (seems unlikely).  So, you need some folks who work for OSGi member companies and have an interest in pushing ECF in the EEG.

We could use some of your assistance in this area (getting some folks who work for OSGi member companies interested in pushing ECF ideas).  ECF is currently (still) all volunteer, but we're looking to change that somehow.  Let's chat 1-1 in Dallas next week at the Board meeting.

Scott

Back to the top