[ecf-dev] Re: More interfaces on remote OSGI services page

Hi Ken,

Ken Gilmer wrote:

These two documents shine brightly for me in regards to distributed OSGi:

flowSGi - Collaborative middleware for mobile devices
http://www.iks.inf.ethz.ch/publications/files/flowSGI.pdf (Jan would make an ideal ECFer...)

Thanks...I'll check it out and attempt to contact Jan. If anyone already knows Jan

A Note on Distributed Computing
http://research.sun.com/techrep/1994/smli_tr-94-29.pdf

Yes...this is one of my favorite articles on distributed computing. They go into a very clear and concise explanation of why network transparency...although an appealing idea...is not necessarily a good idea...and why it usually makes sense to put as much control of networking...including partial failure handling, etc...into the hands of the application programmer (i.e. not try to hide the fact that there is an unreliable, relatively slow network...but rather expose to the application failure detection and ability to recover from partial failure in an application specific manner). For another seminal paper along these lines see Six Misconceptions about Reliable Distributed Computing: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/vogels/papers/ew98.pdf

My take-away lessons for me of this research and own experience with building frameworks for app development is that 1) Network communication abstractions (e.g. sockets, pub-sub messaging, rpc, IContainer, failure detection, etc) should be exposed to rather than hidden from applications; 2) attempts to do 'transparent' distribution of object graphs (i.e. hide network distribution and remote method invocation from the app) don't really work very well, because networks fail, are slow, etc., and devising a generic response to network failures is hard/impossible...that is, it seems better to allow the application to *know* (be notified) of such failures and then allow the application to decide how it should recover. Because distribution of state *without* knowledge of appropriate application behavior (i.e. at OS level) is very hard/impossible to do 'appropriately' for all applications.

But exposing things like partial failure and asynchrony at the API level are difficult...because this adds unfamiliar concepts to any API. Therein lies the challenge, I think...create APIs that are as simple as possible, without hiding too much from programmers/applications.

Regarding this topic as a whole, an implicit transition has been made from "Eclipse" to "OSGi". They are different worlds with different problem domains, and I have been pondering the pluses and minuses of ECF in a pure OSGi context. The value of ECF in the Eclipse context is clear, but it's value (in relation to other solutions) at the OSGi level is ambiguous to me.

Yes. While Eclipse is an application, OSGI is a runtime...and in some senses like an OS. Inter-process communication (whether RPC or asynch messaging or whatever) is by definition a cross-runtime concern...and ECF as a framework has been focused on supporting IPC by applications rather than as part of the OS. Partially for the reasons expressed in the papers above. Note also that ECF has a model for object replication in a distributed group (shared objects), but the replication is *not* automatic (i.e. it's explicitly controlled by the application). ECF's shared object container also include the notion of a failure detector...which is used to detect and inform containers and shared objects within those containers of remote process or network failures and subsequent group membership changes (represented as events like IContainerDisconnectedEvent, etc). It doesn't do much automatically in terms of replication (except 'clean up' non-primary replicas when primary becomes disconnected)...but rather notifies the shared object/application and allows it to deal with the given failure.

It's tricky because OSGi has some very compelling native services that seem ripe for utilizing in a distributed manner (Event Admin, Device Service). Again from yesterday's phone conversation it really depends on your application. But given "A Note on Distributed Computing", does it make sense to represent a remote service transparently in an OSGi runtime?

I think of the OSGI services layer as an application-level API...to allow bundles to expose services/APIs to one another in a structured/consistent way (with the appropriate clean up, dealing with classloading/dependencies, etc). So with the musings here http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Remote_OSGI_Services I've simply been thinking about how to expose these app-level services across process with ECF. I'm not sure that this (OSGI services) is the right level for inter-process communication, but at first blush it seems reasonable to me. At least all of the OSGI services structure for registration, lookup, and clean up generalizes well...i.e. going cross bundle/classloader is not *too* far from going cross-process :).

Is there merit in distinguishing Eclipse-ECF and OSGi-ECF?

Well, I think there is merit to distinguishing parts of ECF...ECF core (useful in both domains), ECF datashare (useful in app), ECF presence (useful in app), ECF 'remote services' (useful to app that uses the OSGI services layer), etc.
Thanks for note.

Scott

-Ken