Re: [e4-dev] css

Hi Ann,

You have to distinguish between:
a) CSS as a Language (e.g. selectors, pseudo-selectors,...)
b) CSS-properties

We only support the very basic attributes like font, color, background
color (including some paint types), ... and some custom ones (for
CTabFolder).

I've sent a mail to this list after we shipped 4.1 where I highlight
some problems with our current css treatment because we are not
following general rules here (e.g. it is good practice to prefix custom
attributes using -vendor (e.g. -moz, -webkit,...)) and our own SDK-CSS
is not even valid CSS because the selector some of the selectors defined
are simply invalid if you read the css spec.

Sad enough I didn't get a response on it.

My personal opinion on CSS is that we advertised it completely wrong
because people now think they can apply all CSS-Properties they can in
HTML which is far from true because naturally SWT has constraints we are
not able to overcome.

I think in reality only toolkits who completely draw the UI (like Swing,
JavaFX, Browser-Rendering-Engines) are able to fully implement
CSS-Properties but as said that's my personal opinion and others may
disagree.

Tom