[e4-dev] New Demo/Example Project "Simple e4 IDE"

Hi,

Last weekend I've started working on a new Demo-Project whose scope is
to write an minimal IDE like Application using pure e4-Technologies.

Before I explain further what I'd like to implement with this demo let
me state that I don't want to reinvent the weehl but find missing spots
in our application model we'd have to close in 4.1 to make writing IDEs
without the use of the compat layer possible and probably give people an
example how to split up 3.x code in a way that it runs in pure
e4-Technology as well as in 3.x.

The purpose of this Demo is not to use it for real projects but more as
a show case and Monkey See, Monkey Do example for people.

Let me first of all describe the targets of the SimpleIDE-Demo:
* Everything written in pure e4 (=no compat layer used)
  - *Can't* use org.eclipse.ui*
  - *Can* use org.eclipse.core.*
* Support for the following things:
  - Import/Export Eclipse Projects
  - Implementation of Simple Editors based upon JFace-Text
    - *.txt
    - *.xml
    - *.java
  - Simple Project-Explorer
  - Compare Editor
  - Version-Control
    - Git
  - Project Build/Launch using Ant

The current status:
-------------------
- A very very very simple Project-Explorer (nothing more than a
  TreeViewer showing the file system)
- An Extended Application Model
- Editors:
  - Simple Text Editor
  - Simple XML Editor (in fact a copy of the PDE-Example-Editor)
- Project Import (a 1:1 copy from 3.x-Stream with e4 replacements)
- Project Creation Wizard a Standard Eclipse Project

Next things on my TODO list:
----------------------------
- Support for Git
- Port the Compare-Editor from 3.x (I think Boris once started with
  something like this)

If you are interested or even better want to join me and implement some
editor (e.g. a simple Java-Editor with Syntax Highlighting, a C/C++
Editor with highlighting, ...), a better looking Project-Explorer, ... .

If you have ideas for other show case areas I'm naturally open for
everything but still keep in mind the things should be small enough so
that people can understand as easy as possible what's going on (so
though a fullblown Java-Editor would be cool to have but it's probably
too complex - you can naturally prove me wrong because if really simply
than it would extremely cool to have).

All code is in CVS in
"org.eclipse.e4.ui/examples/org.eclipse.e4.demo.simpleide*"

BTW I've developed all the code for the demo in Eclipse 4.0 SDK and
since this week I saw a huge improvement in performance and usability.

Tom

tom schindl                                        geschaeftsfuehrer/CEO
eduard-bodem-gasse 5/1    A-6020 innsbruck      phone    ++43 512 935834