Re: [e4-dev] Why XML UI is important for us

Eike,

Indeed.  Kaiping seems to be stuck on misconceptions.  "Modeling is way too complex, while XML is oh so simple," is a tired old assertion.  In actual fact, XML is just so much syntactic noise unless there is a model which underlies it.  That underlying model must be described in some way, i.e., as an XML Schema or via some other specification mechanism.  As you point out, XML is merely a serialization and generally isn't the most human readable one you might imagine; it's certainly easy to parse without writing a parser but that saves time for the tool writer, not for the end user.  In any case, having an XML syntax isn't mutually exclusive to using EMF when manipulating that syntax in Java, so don't see why the two are juxtaposed as mutually exclusive when in fact they are highly complementary.

Cheers,
Ed

Eike Stepper wrote:
Hi,

Please note that the actual file format is not mandated by EMF. XML/XMI is just one of many possibilities to persist EMF models. With XText you can store EObjects even in domain (UI) specific syntax.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

kfang@xxxxxx schrieb:
Hi Sabri,

I think that every application developer (Java, C++, C# etc.) can
understand the XML format, but, it isn't the case for EMF. So if we want to
promote the a universal declarative UI, it must be XML format. The EMF is
too complex  for a application developer.

Kaiping FANG

Systems Architecture Manager
CCR
31, rue de Courcelles
75008 PARIS – France

Tél :  +33 (0) 1 44 35 38 01
Fax : +33 (0) 1 44 13 77 36
Mobile : +33 (0) 6 71 29 95 75
E-mail : kfang@xxxxxx

www.ccr.fr

|------------>
| De :       |
|------------>
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |09/10/2009 09:59                                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| Objet :    |
|------------>
  |Re: [e4-dev] Why XML UI is important for us                                                                                                       |
|------------>
| Envoyé     |
| par :      |
|------------>
  |e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                                                        |

Hi Kaiping,

Thank you for your exposing your experience. That's an interesting point
you have just raised. You pointed that declarative UI is finally the most
important feature for building UI. That means that for the final User who
creates the UI, whatever the declaration is in XML or EMF (Actually even if
it is in EMF the user does see the difference if he uses an editor), the
most important is that is declarative and dynamic (can be re-deployed
without compilation).
However, when the developer wants more complex integration of the
declarative UI, such as detecting the lost of focus, putting listener (as
adapter) or even connecting back-end objects by transformation (aggregate
objects, fields, etc.) the model approach makes sense.

Sabri.

2009/10/8 <kfang@xxxxxx>

      Hi,

      Here, I want to introduce our experiences concerning the XML UI

      1.       Why XML UI?
                     My company (CCR) is one of most important reinsurance
      company in the world. Our application is a specific enterprise ERP
      application, which manages the contracts, the claims and the
      accountings
      with different kinds of insurance companies. Precisely, It has
      already more
      than 1500 UI forms. The UI change is our frequent activity in
      software
      development and the time to market is critical. The UI development in
      Java
      presents a lot of problems:

           -   High technical knowledge in UI programming for all UI
      developers,
      there is no separation between Component developer and Domain
      developer.
           -   UI quality depends on Java developer skill level
           -   Impossible to control UI Theme and to enforce UI Guidelines
           -   UI Ergonomic is always ignored by Java developer

      XML UI is very important for us because we want a declarative UI
      description instead of a programming UI description. We think also
      that the
      UI description has to be independent of computer programming
      language.
      We look for a standard XML UI solution since long time ago. But
      unfortunately, we had to develop and maintain our own XML UI solution
      since
      xx years ago.

      2.       About on XWT
      We have followed closely the progress of XWT since beginning. All
      features
      provided seems very powerful. It is what we wait for since long time.

      On waiting for e4