[e4-dev] JavaScript Server

During the conference call someone (I did not catch a name - too much
info - you guys all know your stuff too well :) ) mentioned something
about a JavaScript server. I was wondering where I can learn more about
what is planned and track progress.

I am looking for a way to attach "listeners" to eclipse objects in a
generic way so I can expose events via a "server" that I can access
externally via some protocol. Is that what the JS server is intended for?

I would like to be able to do something like the following:

External Client:

1) Define a listener via some standard XML (or other) config. The config
would include the event(s) to listen for and an adapter to handle the
events and re-format them to some standard format that can be sent via a
lightweight tcp protocol.
2) Send the config to a server running within eclipse

Eclipse Server:

3) The server will take the config and instanciate a listener and
adapter for some period of time
4) Events are then pushed to the client via the same socket, additional
connections or some other mechanism

Is this possible? Practical?

I am hoping to be able to hook into eclipse from outside in some generic
way including dispatching events to eclipse objects. Generic because I
am hoping to not have to write specific adapters for every specific type
of event.

I need this to be able to setup an environment where I can build
JavaScript-based UI plugins for eclipse within Firefox and test
interactions with eclipse. Once the plugins are deployed to eclipse they
can either continue to use this server or fall to a lower level
communication bridge.

Christoph

Back to the top