Re: [e4-dev] Declarative UI in E4

Then there is a mapping for some attributes and not others. We need the list and then decide which ones might be implemented (and the utility of implementing them).

Random implementation thoughts:

To implement margins (and other attributes) for every widget would increase the memory usage on platforms where these attributes are not supported natively (ie. everywhere except Dojo, Flex).  We could add one field that contained a pointer to the memory for all the attributes but experience has shown that this field always gets set and even more memory is used.  I could imagine an implementation of the margin code where there were multiple operating system handles for each native widget and the real native widget (ie. the table or whatever) was offset.  This would effectively double the operating system resource usage for every widget in Eclipse, even when no margins etc. were set.  Doesn't sound good to me.

Kevin McGuire/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/28/2009 03:07 PM

Please respond to
E4 Project developer mailing list <e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
Re: [e4-dev] Declarative UI in E4

> Kevin, does the CSS code you are playing with now support things like "font-weight"?

Yes.

Steve Northover/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/28/2009 02:24 PM

Please respond to
E4 Project developer mailing list <e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
Re: [e4-dev] Declarative UI in E4

You bring up a point that has been danced around for a while (sorry if it was discussed and I missed it).  It's fine to accept and parse CSS formats but what are the valid attributes that we set, SWT API only?  In the code you typed, if the platform was Dojo, then the CSS you provided is native and could just be applied to the widget.  Not so on win32 or even Flex where the CSS attributes are non-standard too.

Kevin, does the CSS code you are playing with now support things like "font-weight"?

Tom Schindl <tom.schindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/28/2009 02:03 PM

Please respond to
E4 Project developer mailing list <e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
Re: [e4-dev] Declarative UI in E4

Hi Steve,

Do you think SWT could implement interpretation of CSS-Informations for
us (I don't speak about the much more heavy weight parsing and CSS-Rules)?

There are things we can't solve without an underlying support from SWT.
One such example is padding on the Text-Widget because naturally
Component-nesting (which can be used to implement margins) is not possible.

If I could dream. I'd like SWT to provide an API like Widget#setStyle()
which allows me to pass in CSS-String like this:

Text widget = new Text(parent,SWT.BORDER);
widget.setStyle("margin-left: 5px; margin-top: 10px; padding-left: 10px;
font-weight: bold;");

Do you have any idea how we could implement padding with the current
SWT-API?

Tom