Re: [dtp-dev] Preparation for the 12/9 iteration build

Hi Der-Ping,

The build errors in the DSE and "....connectivity.ui" in 3.1 came from a
dependency on the Eclipse 3.2 Navigator framework. Rob and Brian have
worked out a compatibility plan that lets these build in both 3.1 and 3.2,
but we have not completed all the details yet. We'll have more information
about this idea for the project meeting next Monday.

Regards,
John Graham
Staff Software Engineer
Sybase, Inc.

             Der Ping Chou
             <dpchou@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  DTP development mailing list
             dtp-dev-bounces@e         <dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             clipse.org                                                 cc
                                       dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
                                       dtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
             12/08/2005 04:00                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: [dtp-dev] Preparation for the
                                       12/9 iteration build

             Please respond to
              DTP development
               mailing list
             <dtp-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

John,

I think it is generally acceptable to have a milestone build to go out with
build instruction for the required tag to build in 3.1, plus what we are
trying to achieve here is to make our contribution build-able in both
Eclipse V3.1&2.

Just curious what are the build errors in Eclipse V3.1?

Thanks,

Der-Ping Chou
Information Management Tooling
Development Manager - Data Tools
Seattle IBM Office
tel : 1-206-587-5946 (T/L: 277-5946)

 jograham@xxxxxxxxxx
 Sent by:
 dtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx                                            To
                                              dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                        cc
 12/07/2005 02:28 PM
                                                                   Subject
                                              [dtp-dev] Preparation for
        Please respond to                     the 12/9 iteration build
  DTP development mailing list

I'd like to check assumptions for the 12/9 iteration build:

1) Plug-ins included:

org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity
org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.db.derby
org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.db.generic
org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda
org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.flatfile
org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui
org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.dse
org.eclipse.datatools.modelbase.dbdefinition
org.eclipse.datatools.modelbase.sql
org.eclipse.datatools.modelbase.sql.edit
org.eclipse.datatools.sqltools.editor.core
org.eclipse.datatools.sqltools.result

The CVS head for this plug-in set currently builds without error in Eclipse
3.2M3. Does anyone want to add or remove plug-ins from this list?

Next, there is a problem with Eclipse 3.1: The plug-in
"org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.compatibility" does not seem to be used
by DSE, so the only way I can DSE to build in 3.1 is to include
"...navigator.common" and "....navigator.views" (both CVS head) and
"...dse" from CVS tag DTP_M1. Also, "org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui"
CVS head does not build in 3.1, so I need to use the DTP_M1 tag there as
well.

Ideally, we'd have one build for Eclipse 3.1 and 3.2, but it is easy to
imagine why we might not be able to accomplish this. Will it be necessary
to split the build, or can these issues be addressed for 12/9? Note that
going out with the DTP_M1 tag for "...ui" and DSE could work (since the
"navigator.common" and "navigator.views" plug-ins are tolerated in 3.2),
but any code changes made past DTP_M1 will not be reflected.

2) Each plug-in now includes a source code zip and JavaDoc where
appropriate.

3) With the exception of the ODA components, I have updated the version
number to "0.7.0". Changes to the manifest files will be made in CVS to
reflect this.

4) The download zip will have the standard Eclipse folder structure,
including a "features" folder, even though it is empty at the moment.

5) The name of the download file will follow the Eclipse convention. So, on
Friday we will have "dtp-SDK-0.7M2-I120905.zip"

The "SDK" indicates source code and JavaDoc included, "M2" is the milestone
this build is working toward, and "I120905" indicates an iteration build
for the given date stamp.

Any thoughts or comments about these points?

Regards,
John Graham
Eclipse Data Tools Platform PMC
Staff Software Engineer