[dsdp-tm-dev] RE: dstore changes from IBM team

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure what you mean by single-server model. In general, I consider all
the dstore stuff as sheperded by IBM, so it's you folks who need to decide
if and when you accept such changes.

From the IP/Legal point of view, we'll need a Patch from them on Bugzilla.
If it's a plain EPL contribution, review can likely be pretty fast.

I'd not promise them anything though without understanding what they really
want. In general, I'd prefer the frameworks to foster a single, simple way of
doing things. Being too generic bears the risks of bugs, so there needs to
be some real benefit in the things they want to do.

I'd suggest that they file an enhancement request on bugzilla as soon as
possible, and clearly describe what they want to do. Then we can discuss
the requested changes before they start coding.

Regarding your other question, yes: all openRSE code is under EPL and
the EPL does allow anybody to take the code, modify and redistribute as
they want. Their only obligations in this case are that they
  (a) include the modified source code with their disctribution
  (b) license the modified source code under the EPL.
If, on the other hand, they take EPL code and do not modify it but just
add their own stuff (modules) to it, they do not need to distribute the
source and do  not need to make their own stuff available under the EPL.

That's the good thing of the EPL and difference to GPL: Under the EPL,
a combined work of EPL-sources and other sources does not need to
be EPL as a whole. Whereas the GPL is viral in nature, so it requires
any combined work including GPL to be GPL as a whole.

If there are any more questions, don't hesitate to ask or consult the
Legal documents on www.eclipse.org - There is a very good EPL FAQ
available:

http://www.eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php#COMPILEWOMOD
http://www.eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php#MODDIST
http://www.eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php#SRCREDIST

As a disclaimer, I must also say that I'm personally not a lawyer, so
what I have written is my understanding of the EPL and the FAQ. For
a final word, the distributors might want to look at the EPL themselves
and/or consult with a lawyer.

Cheers,
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm