[dsdp-tm-dev] Moving stuff in the Repository

Dear TM Committers,

just as a reminder - when you move stuff in the repository,
e.g. making a package "internal", there's two options:

a) you want to keep the history. It's a little bit of effort
   but possible. Then you need to tell me what package should
   go where and I do it for you.

b) You're ok with losing the history. Then you can just do the
   JDT Refactor > Move to... and commit the old and the new
   directories. But PLEASE use a comment for committing that
   references the old place, e.g.

   [123456][refactor] move org.eclipse.rse.services ->
org.eclipse.rse.services.internal

   The benefit of this is that in case you should need the old
   history of a class some time, you can do the following:
    * Look at the history of the class
    * See the comment there and know where it came from
    * Go to the old directory, do Team > Restore from Repository
      ...and voila, you see the old history.

I've personally used (b) for all my moves so far, since I didn't
see any classes with really valuable history - and it's not totally
gone after all. But for that to work, you need to know where it
came from, so please use the comment accordingly.

Martin Oberhuber
Wind River Systems, Inc.
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Back to the top