[dsdp-pmc] Interview about DSDP in Galileo

Dear PMC,

here is an E-Mail interview which I gave in German. I'm translating it into English since I thought you might find this useful when talking about  DSDP in Galileo. Also, please let me know in case I got anything wrong !
  1. How would you describe the Eclipse DSDP Project in a few words?

    The Device Software Development Platform (DSDP) [1] is a collection of Eclipse Projects for developing embedded and mobile systems. Contrary to the new Eclipse Runtime (RT) project, which creates runtime libraries for target environments that include embedded systems, the focus of DSDP is on tools for software development.
  2. What is a typical use-case of the project?

    I guess the most well-known part of DSDP is the Remote System Explorer (RSE) [2], which - among other things - allows transparent editing of files on remote systems via network. RSE provides the foundation for controlling embedded targets from the development machine, but people also like using it in other areas such as administering web servers for instance.
  3. What's new in Galileo?

    I'd like to specifically emphasize Pulsar [3]. Driven by the Eclipse Pulsar Industry Working Group, the Pulsar Package allows developing mobile applications which are not bound on a specific mobile Platform such as Google Android. As a part of Pulsar, Mobile Tools for Java (MTJ) [4] is shipping its 1.0 release with Galileo.

    Most of the DSDP Device Debugging Project has been integrated into the CDT, and provides now a very powerful debugger based on latest gdb technology.

    There are two more new projects in DSDP which are not specifically part of the Galileo simultaneous release, but are definitely noteworthy: Real-Time Software Components (RTSC) [5] provides a flexible component model for C applications to run on extremely resource constrained systems; and Blinki Mobile Web Toolkit [6] provides tools for development and testing of web contents for mobile devices.
  4. How is DSDP going to move forward? What role is e4 going to play?

    With Pulsar, a very strong industry working group has formed, so I expect a continued strong focus of DSDP on mobile application development. At the same time, the Target Communication Framework (TCF) [7], RTSC and d-pack [8] are very promising new technologies in the non-Java space. CDT [9] has adopted some DSDP technologies this year, and I expect it to continue growing. The new possibilities to come with the e4 Platform are unlikely to be adopted by DSDP immediately, since the existing Eclipse technology is good enough for software development tools - except for the resource system, which is being driven by DSDP committers in e4. In the longer term, the e4 Platform will give us exciting new possibilities to create great frameworks, applications and tools.
Cheers,