Re: [dsdp-pmc] DSDP Incubator Proposal

Having gone though this painful process myself before, I am very much in favor of this idea!

I would propose that such a project will get the usual Wiki, Mailing List, and a possible CVS/SVN space. This would allow a project to at least function in "public" and give others a chance to check it out and maybe become interested.

The toughest part for me was to get used to the "working on an outside CVS", and a project could take this step gradually and move to this stage. Once "code" is out there, it is also much easier to recruit and interest other contributors.

-Christian

Gaff, Doug wrote:

Hi PMC,

I would like to propose that we create an Incubator project in DSDP. I’d like to create a place where fledging project ideas and technologies can incubate without the full overhead of project leadership.

Case in point, the VPP project proposal has been sitting out there for a while now. Mark Burton (the proposed lead) has been working hard at recruiting corporate sponsors for the project, but he’s meeting the usual resistance (“we can’t give away our Eclipse technology”). There are some potential technology contributions, but I don’t want to create another DSDP project without a clear corporate sponsor and a specific engineering commitment. An incubator would allow VPP to start working on some technology pieces while still building a community.

Thoughts?

Doug