RE: [dsdp-pmc] Code contribution

Title: Code contribution

Interesting discussion. From reading the BSD-license, which is pretty short, it does not seem to require the redistribution of source with the binaries. It does require that the license text be included with the binaries, though. That’s all. The license seems to be intended to stop people from using the source without crediting the original author while also absolving the original authors from liability.

Of course, I’m not a lawyer.

So is the requirement that the Eclipse IP team needs to see the source to do the IP check, not because we need to redistribute the source?

Sorry, I’m just trying to figure out what the rules are. Redistributing binaries along with Eclipse projects is useful in other areas too (e.g. Microsoft redist components – assuming their rules allow open source projects to redist them)

Doug Schaefer

QNX Software Systems

Eclipse CDT Project Lead

http://cdtdoug.blogspot.com