From: dsdp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dsdp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of ext Oberhuber, Martin
Sent: 27 September, 2006 11:19
To: DSDP PMC list
Subject: RE: [dsdp-pmc] Code contribution

Hello Mika,

What kind of users would you expect to use these binaries?
Can every ordinary user get such a Nokia terminal easily, and use it for programming?
Can ordinary users download these libraries from some Open Nokia server right now?

I'm wondering whether the Open Source Eclipse Framework is the right place for such vendor specific programs. In my understanding, the charter of the Eclipse foundation is to create Frameworks and Exemplary tools to support vendors creating their specific tooling.

As such, I'd rather not expect vendor specific binaries in Open Source. There is an exception, of course, if you think that these libraries would provide a very good example to show ISVs how the APIs can be used in order to extend the framework. Was that your intention?

Your license also talks about "Source Form". Would you include the sources for your libs with the contribution?
The license does read similar to the EPL. Do you see a chance that Nokia would proivde these libs under EPL?

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber
Wind River Systems, Inc.