RE: [dsdp-pmc] Tutorials at Eclipse Con

Title: Re: Suggestion for tutorials
Hi Doug,

I do not like the idea of a "just talking" VLT.

I think that from whatever people go to on the "tutorial day", they should have something
to take home with them. In other words, even if it's a short (2 hour) tutorial, people should
be able to pick up an example project as well as setup instructions, that allows them to
experiment with the stuff on their own (in their freetime at EclipseCon, or later at home).

IMHO it's not so important to do the actual hands-on exercises right in class, but to get
help getting started with setup and an initial project.

I agree that this hasn't been very effective last year, mostly because speakers typically
distributed their examples in last minute. Having an USB stick handed out in class
worked OK, but it typically took half an hour or so until everybody had the examples
on their laptops, and even longer until things were really set up. So I think the key part
in making tutorials more productive, will be to ask speakers prepare their material
well in advance and encourage participants to download examples BEFORE they
enter the tutorial.

When this is done, I think that
  * A 2-hour tutorial (aka VLT) would be sufficient to get participants set up with their
    example projects, and walk through the examples together. In other words, people
    would not write code on their own, but watch the presenters write or explain the
    examples. They would typically not have time to do their own local experiments.
    In practice, last year several 4-hour tutorials were set up like this [but too long
    for such a sort of "interactive presentation".
    A 2-hour tutorial should have one 15-minute break in the middle, in which people
    can either get some refreshment or ask presenters for help setting up their
    workspaces. The ultimate goal of a 2-hour tutorial would be that people get
    some feeling for the technology, and (if they want) get a workspace set up
    themselves.

  * A 4-hour tutorial should follow the same basic outline as a 2-hour tutorial but have
    3 15-minute breaks for setup help, asking questions or getting refreshment. It would
    allow to cover more technical aspects and details, optionally allow participants to
    do a little bit of coding their own (this worked truly well in the EMF workshop last
    year).
    The goal of a 4-hour tutorial would be that people get a workspace set up,
    and understand the core APIs of some technology.

  * In a full day workshop, I think the goal should be that participants not only get
    set up, but get some help specific to their particular needs. In other words, they
    should be able to do some coding their own; they should be able to ask questions
    regarding their needs in their current project. They should be able to experiment
    with examples and try their own side-tracks (assisted by the presenters). I guess
    that whoever goes to a Hands-on Workshop should acutally use what they have
    learned in their daily work later on.
    Note that according to this description, a Hands-on Workshop would actually make
    sense for plain beginners or users too (not only add-in providers), explaining JDT or
    PDE features from a user's perspective ... perhaps a hands-on workshop / beginners
    class for plugin writers would really be well received.
    The goal of a HOW would be that people get everything they need to use the
    technology themselves in their own projects.

The main background of these thoughts is that the core value of a tutorial is to get
started with something. After this initial hurdle is taken, it's always much easier to
explore the help system etc.
The difference between a tutorial and a long talk would still be that the tutorial digs
into the technology and allows people to actually use it, while the talk would be
more of a presentation. Therefore, I'd still call the 2-hour thing tutorial rather than
VLT.

HTH,

Cheers,
--