[dsdp-pmc] PMC Meeting Minutes - Wednesday 5/24

PMC Meeting Minutes – Wednesday 5/24

  • Mark Rogalski, eRCP, introduction
    • eRCP has been in incubation (aka Validation Phase) for 2 years.  Code has been available for use for 1 year.
    • Mark works on Websphere Device Deployment.
    • Current status – almost completed all contributions.  One more milestone build.  Planning a release review in late June.
    • Will graduate to DSDP, then do one or more RC builds, followed by a 1.0 release.
    • IBM, Nokia are the two committers.  Motorola helped found the project, but they’ve been inactive for the past 6 months.
    • 3000 downloads for the last build.
  • Continue our release review discussion – quality, testing, etc.
    • http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/validation-phase.php
    • http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/eclipse-quality.php
    • TM
      1. Building community – Martin is working on making the bar easier to participate.
      2. Wiki page for discussions
      3. Need to do a lot of catch-up on unit testing for public API’s.  Based on conversations with Bjorn, unit testing is up to each project, but we have to be able to stand up before the community and justify our quality.  The plan is to declare all API’s provisional initially.
    • MTJ
      1. Still reviewing these documents.
    • DD
      1. API’s have been the focus so far (with the Eclipse 3.2 EDMI).  With our upcoming Riverbed contribution (debug model), the focus will be on API’s that allow connection to GDB and Vendor-specific debug engines.
      2. Community building is on-going, with a focus on developers first.
    • NAB
      1. The biggest challenge with community is that Japanese companies don’t have much experience with open source, so the decision process is long.
      2. Would like some help recruiting American and European companies.  Doug will follow up with a couple of copies he knows after the English documentation for NAB is published.
    • eRCP
      1. API’s:  using a lot of existing API’s from the platforms.  Wrote test suites for a few new API’s.  Also contributed a test harness for devices.
      2. UI testing?  They do visual testing required beyond the API unit tests using various samples.  Still a manual process right now.
      3. Community building – lots of articles in technical publications seem to help, especially “tutorial” articles.  Each project lead should think about this.
  • Press scripts action item from last meeting
    • Reminder to work on these.  Due first or second week June.
    • eRCP:  Doug will check out presentation on website.
  • MTJ
    • Blackberry, Sysline participation?
      1. On-going discussions with Blackberry.
      2. Sysline – posted to newsgroup some interest – still following up with them.
    • Motorola activities in open source?
      1. Mika talked to them at JavaONE to try to recruit.  This is on-going.
    • Netbeans and J2ME
      1. See previous PMC email from Mika.
      2. The goal is to catch up technically with Netbeans.
    • Plans for EclipseME code that won’t be through due diligence prior to June
      1. Nokia and IBM are developing in a closed CVS until the due diligence is done.
      2. The due diligence won’t complete in June, so the MTJ release could end up being postponed.
      3. One solution is to just release the binaries for the EclipseME portions, but these can’t be put on eclipse.org.  Mika will think about alternative release vehicles for the EclipseME portions:  perhaps sourceforge.
  • NAB
    • Community building – see Shigeki’s previous PMC email and notes above.
  • Discussion:  new project dashboard and good project metrics

Next meeting:  mid-June, Doug will send out a separate email to coordinate.