From: dsdp-mtj-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dsdp-mtj-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Craig Setera
Sent: Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:31 PM
To: Mobile Tools for The Java Platform mailing list
Subject: Re: [dsdp-mtj-dev] Launch Command Template

Hey Jon,

This was meant to be editable.  There are a couple of reasons I did things this way originally:

1) I had no backing from device manufacturers, so it was a lot of guesswork on my part.  If I did not get something right, users could alter things on their own.
2) Related to that, it was possible for users to experiment and try to add new devices that I hadn't considered.

This is obviously a very low-level user interface  It has been a (long) while since I've spent any time in that part of the code, but I believe that that is one particular implementation of the device editor extension point.  Thus, it is fully replaceable on a device-by-device basis.  I think there are a few potential options I can see going forward:

1) Leave things as is.  Have your user interface work the same way as what is already there.
2) Look for a better generic approach that works well for all device vendors.  Perhaps it is as simple as moving the ability to alter the command line to some "Details" page somewhere and make it less prominent.
3) Leave things as is for the core, but have your devices with your own device edit pages.
4) Some combination of approaches.

I guess what it boils down to is that I think what is available right now could be handled much better in the general case and is something we should probably consider what improvements we could make.  I do think that it is something that you should consider looking for device-specific improvements as well.  Finally, this might be a place to further break down the available functionality so it can be consumed in pieces as necessary.

Just a few thoughts.
Craig

Jon Dearden wrote:

To my fellow “Mobile Fools for Java”  J

Can someone tell me what the intended use is of the launch Command Template in the device definition dialog? Is it intended to be manually edited by the user

The reason I ask is that I may want to have *many* settings for an emulator. Dozens. Ideally, these settings appear on additional tabs on the dialog with lots of user-friendly default values, prompts, and data validation. The emulator may not require all values to be passed into it, but it may complain if you pass in a parameter name without a value. I don’t want to force the user to enter something just because a launch template has a replaceable parameter for it. For example, if the user does not want to enter a phone number but the template includes “/phone=%number%”, you send the emulator /phone=”” and it may throw up and error and not launch.

So it comes down to this. Do we expect the user to manually edit the template? It could be made read-only and presented below the tab panel. Changes in the tabbed page fields could be reflected real-time in the launch command below. That’s just an idea.

Another option is to keep the template simple, then add additional parameters programmatically and hidden from the user. But that could hide errors.

As a vendor, I would want to be careful to do things “the MTJ way”.

Cheers,

Jon

---

Senior Software Developer, Eclipse Tools

Research In Motion

905-629-4746 x15333 / Mobile: 519 500-23167

jdearden@xxxxxxx