Re: [dsdp-ercp-dev] Workbench references org.eclipse.swt.dnd.Transfer

You are right. It looks like a problem with the manifest on the Series 80.
The reason eSWT is on bootclasspath is to make it available to other runtimes; main applications on Series 80.
--
Gorkem

Danail Nachev wrote:
I did the following:

1) downloaded the 1.0.2 runtime for S80 device
2) installed it
3) retrieved back the org.eclipse.ercp.swt.jar bundle
4) examined its manifest and found out that the org.eclipse.swt.dnd is
not part of its Export-Package header.

As long as I remember the eSWT for S80 is installed separately, so is
there a chance that the package is there (in the bootclasspath), but it
is not added to the org.eclipse.ercp.swt bundle.

There is absolutely no problem with this. This comes from the default
behaviour of the Equinox, where it delegates everything to the
bootclasspath first, so there is no chance that someone will have problems.

However, I think it is good if we change the org.eclipse.ercp.swt bundle
to export all available eSWT packages. It won't do any good but it won't
do any bad too. It will just clarify which packages are available for
eRCP applications.

The best thing which we can do is deploy eSWT bundle as fragment to the
system.bundle. This way, the packages will be exported properly, the
classes will be available to the bundle and there won't be any need for
boot delegation. This is the recommended way to export packages in the
bootclasspath. However, this way the eSWT cannot be imported via
Require-Bundle.

I wonder what is the limitation which force the deployment of eSWT in
the bootclasspath?

Gorkem Ercan wrote:
org.eclipse.swt.dnd is part of the expanded package so it should be
available when expanded is available. The purpose of dnd is mainly to
provide Clipboard support. So it should be available when expanded
package is available. I have also checked the eswt-expanded.jar for
Series 80 and the class files are available. Perhaps there is something
with your installation?
--
Gorkem

Danail Nachev wrote:
Hi,

I just noticed that
org.eclipse.ui.application.IWorkbenchWindowConfigurer class references
org.eclipse.swt.dnd.Transfer class.

The problem is that this class is from the expanded eSWT set and it
isn't available on S80 platform (I checked the packages exported by
org.eclipse.swt bundle installed on S80 platform). The
org.eclipse.ercp.ui.workbench requires the org.eclipse.swt bundle
instead of importing the needed packages, so this doesn't cause problems
with resolving. However, I wonder is this package (org.eclipse.swt.dnd)
is an optional package or this is a potential problem? The third option
is that I hadn't get it right, which is also possible:)

I haven't much time and can't research it as much as I would like.
Because I'm not sure whether this is really a problem I haven't posted
bug.