[dsdp-dd-dev] Using DSF MI/GDB debugger on Windows

Hi All,

I am trying to evaluate the GDB/MI DSF debugger on Windows platform using Eclipse 3.4 M7 release to debug an embedded application running on a MIPS Malta board. I have GDB Server which runs on my host PC and communicates to the target board via an EJTAG debug probe.

I got some instructions from http://wiki.eclipse.org/DSDP/DD/GDB. I read these instructions and I was able to perform a debugging session after some trial and error methods. I created a sample application using the MIPS SDE tool chain and used the “C/C++ Remote Application (Experimental DSF)” debug launch for starting the debug session. But after starting the debug session, I had to do the below tricks to make the debugging work

1)       As there is no option in the DSF Remote C/C++ application launch to automatically download the image to target using load command. I have to do it manually from gdb console using load command after suspending the debug target in debug view.

2)       After loading, I have to resume the debug target in debug view to start debugging from main

3)       During debugging, actions done in the gdb console (stepi, break etc) do not get reflected in Debug View and other views.

4)       Still we need to checkout the source from CVS and build? Is there any reason for not including the latest version with M7? Will it be fixed in next release?

  Is all these are known issues being addressed?

  We have a debugger based on Eclipse CDT CDI GDB/MI interface. We are looking to migrate to DSF. Is DSF GDB/MI implementation for Windows and Linux available now 100% complete?  Is it a good candidate for replacing CDT CDI MI/GDB implementation? Any instructions available for migration?

Thanks & Regards,

Jiju George

Back to the top