RE: [dsdp-dd-dev] Re: FW: Load/save/fill memory operations

At 04:22 PM 4/5/2006, Williams, Ted wrote:

Samantha> "My concern here is performance.  Writing and reading memory
could take a long time.  I am not sure if verifying the write operation
to a memory block should be an UI's responsibility."

Agreed, it probably shouldn't be the UI's responsibility to actually
perform the verify (write, read, compare). Any ideas on how to pass a
verify flag to the back end? It's unfortunate that
IMemoryBlockExtension.setValue takes a byte array; a MemoryByte array
would cleanly allow for a VERIFY_ON_WRITE attribute.

If the idea is to perform write verifications at lower levels, there could be a debugger global state which dictates this behavior across all write operations. Our commercial non-Eclipse product has this feature.

John> "Regarding the expression support, one thing that springs to mind
is the need to support address space. We'll need to keep that in mind
when designing the feature."

I've been wondering about address spaces, too. Should the import/export
dialogs contain UI for selecting the address space? Or should the
operation use the selected IMemoryBlock and assume it was created with
the desired address space? I think this fails when the user modifies the
address field in the dialog.

The argument has been made that the memory view should have an address space selection, and I think Samantha's solution to that was to allow debugger providers to provide a custom dialog for accepting the address from the user. We may want to take the same approach for the import/export feature.

However, let's first consider the various ways in which that feature will work. I strongly believe it shouldn't be tied to the memory view. I should be able to right click on a ptr variable in the Variables view and choose an import/export memu item which will bring up the import/export dialog with the value of the ptr variable pre-populated in the dialog.

Bringing up the import/export dialog from the memory view should follow the path you suggested...use the IMemoryBlock's address space.

Has there been any discussion on memory "find"? When necessary,
searching for memory (up/down, literal/regex) can be quite valuable.

This would be very useful. I suppose this capability is technically provided by the export feature (you could export then grep), but that's awfully cumbersome.

John> "Let's see if Ted wants ownership of this. If not, you can assign
it to me."

I'd be happy to provide the initial implementation, but I'll count on
John to provide feedback. :)

You can count on it :-)

John

Back to the top